Friday, March 30, 2007

GMAT STRATEGY

My score
QUANTITATIVE SCALED SCORE-47
VERBAL SCALED SCORE-42
TOTAL SCALED SCORE-720- 96 PERCENTILE

My Strategy:
Took the diagnostic test from the Original Guide-11th edition and zeroed in on topics that I was reasonably comfortable with. Percentages, Ratio and proportion, indices, numbersand Geometry. Luckily these are the critical chapters for the GMAT. After the initial diagnosis I realised that I did some unforced errors - errors made not because I could not understand the question buterrors made because I rushed the solution and in the bargain did errors like multiplying instead of adding. Initially, I focussed on eliminating these unforced errors while taking tests. Also, aimed at understanding chapters mentioned above in greater detail by solving greater number of questions and also questions with greater complexity from these chapters.I used OG-11, Kaplan premier course and aregular mathematics book. My preparation for CAT(Common Admission Test) came real handy. Another useful preparatory material source was the quant material from T.I.M.E, a coching institute in India that prepares students for CAT.

The next step was to focus on chapters like probability, permutations and combinations, absolute value and co-ordinate geometry. I knew that if were to get a tough question from these chapters there was a bright chance that i would get the answer wrong - whatever the level of preparation. So rather than making these chapters the focus of my preparation I aimed at geetting a decent level of proficiency in these chapters.I did get around6-7 questions from these chapters in the actual GMAT and I am quite sure that I got 5 of them right. Lesson- donot leave any chapter totally out of your preparation.

The decision to be taken for quant is which chapters are essential rather critical for thr GMAT and hence require greater focus and which chapters can be prepared at a more basic level. For example in co-ordinate geometry if you know how to calculate the slope of the lne, the meaning of positive and negative slope and the equation of the line, you are quite OK to handle most of the basic problems of this Chapter at the actual GMAT.

DATA SUFFICIENCY my fundas in the next post.

No comments: